The New York Giants have requested at least two first-round picks for their star wideout Odell Beckham Jr, a league source told Adam Schefter.
The trade rumors surrounding Beckham have really escalated over the past week, with owner Dave Gettleman saying “You don’t quit on talent,” without directly saying Beckham was available for a trade.
There have only been two reports surrounding this situation thus far: One said that Beckham would not take the field this year without signing an extension to his contract (reported by the NFL Network), and the other, reported by the New York Post, said the Los Angeles Rams were pursuing a trade for him.
“Neither Odell nor his agent have contacted us regarding either report,” Gettleman said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings. “So to be clear: I’m not going to respond to questions about either report, and as I stated earlier, every decision I make is going to be in the best interest of the New York football Giants.”
Owner John Mara also added that no one on the roster is untouchable, but also that Beckham was not on the trading block.
“He’s not on the block. Is that going to stop clubs from possibly calling us? No. But he’s not on the block. We’re not shopping him around.
“I don’t want him to be traded,” Mara continued. “I want him to be a Giant. I can’t say it’s a 100 percent guarantee it will happen. Can’t say that about any player.”
Beckham has had his fair share of off the field issues, such as last year when he took a trip to Miami the week before the Giants’ playoff game against the Green Bay Packers. Nonetheless, Beckham is still one of the best wide receivers in the league and deserves a max contract on whatever team he goes to.
“The kid works his fanny off,” Gettleman said. “His [ankle] rehab is going terrific. He sends us pictures, sends us a video about him running. He’s an excellent worker.”