– American James Connolly became the first modern athlete to win Olympic Gold, doing so by winning the Triple Jump in 1896 in Athens.
– In 1958, Arnold Palmer won his first of four Masters tournaments by holding off Doug Ford and Fred Hawkins by a single stroke.
– Gordie Howe completed his 26th season in the NHL back in 1980, giving him the ‘ironman’ record.
– In 1992, Duke, under Coach K, clinched back-to-back national titles by seeing off Michigan by a score of 71-51.
– Diana Taurasi won Most Outstanding Player for the second year in a row in leading UConn past Tennessee for an NCAA Tournament victory in 2004.