– On this day in 1915, Babe Ruth made his debut on the mound for the Red Sox in a 4-3 loss to the Yankees. He also hit a home run in that very same game.
– In 1954, Roger Bannister did what many thought was impossible prior to his achievement. He broke the four-minute mile barrier, clocking in at 3:59 in the UK.
– Affirmed won the Kentucky Derby on this date in 1978, taking the first leg of what would eventually be the Triple Crown for him. He would be the last horse to win it for 37 years until American Pharaoh pulled it off in 2015.
– Kerry Wood put on an absolute show on the mound on this day in 1998, striking out 20 batters to tie Roger Clemens’ single-game K record. It was also a one-hitter in which he conceded no walks.
– Last year, Pablo Sandoval made a bit of dubious baseball history. He joined Christy Matthewson in being the only player to throw a scoreless inning, steal a base, and also homer in the same game. It was a 12-4 loss to the Reds, and it was the first time since 1905 that one had been pulled off.